Local people are being encouraged to go to their pharmacy for a blood pressure check
Monday 19 August 2019
A new scheme has been set up to tackle undiagnosed high blood pressure in Gateshead residents.
Often referred to as the silent killer, high blood pressure does not usually have any symptoms and it is thought that up to 90,000 people in the North East are unaware they are living with high blood pressure. This means you could be living with one of the risk factors most commonly associated with heart attacks and strokes and not know it.
The condition can be easily treated with a combination of simple lifestyle changes. Getting your blood pressure under control is important and a check takes less than five minutes.
If you are over 18 years, have not already been diagnosed with high blood pressure and have a Gateshead GP, you can now have your blood pressure checked in one of the following Gateshead pharmacies:
- Ashchem Leam Lane, 11 Fewster Square, Gateshead NE10 8XQ
- Ashchem, The Health Centre, Prince Consort Rd, Gateshead NE8 1NB
- ASDA, 1 Gibside Way, Gateshead NE11 9YA
- Whitworths, Wrekenton Health Centre, Springwell Rd, NE9 7AD
- R G Young, 33 Sheriffs Highway, Gateshead NE9 5PJ
- Sunniside Pharmacy, 9 Dewhurst Terrace, Sunniside NE16 5LP
- K&A Pharmacy, 292 Old Durham Road, NE8 4BQ
- Lobley Hill Pharmacy, 72 Malvern gardens, Gateshead NE11 9LJ
- Tesco Pharmacy, 1 Trinity Square, Gateshead. NE8 1AG
- Rowlands Pharmacy, 76-78 Saltwell Road, Bensham NE8 4XE
- Central Chem, 217 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead NE8 1SR
- Lloyds Pharmacy Teams, Watson Street, Gateshead NE8 2PQ
- Beacon View Pharmacy, 1 Liddle Terrace, Bensham NE9 6YS
- N&B Chemist, 1 Liddle Terrace, Bensham NE8 1YN
- Rowlands Pharmacy, Meresyde, Leam Lane NE10 8XN
- Well Pharmacy Dunston, 17 The Crescent, NE11 9SJ
Making healthy lifestyle changes can help reduce your chances of getting high blood pressure and help lower your blood pressure if it’s already high.
If you are worried about your blood pressure you can also visit your GP or find out more at www.bhf.org.uk/bloodpressure